The Old Fashioned probably comes to mind when you think of a classic cocktail. But, have you ever tried a smoked Old Fashioned? This delightful twist on the classic drink introduces a rich, smoky depth that will impress your guests. Let’s embark on this flavorful journey together!
Understanding the Old Fashioned
Before diving into the smoky version, knowing the basics is helpful. The Old Fashioned is a cocktail made traditionally with sugar, bitters, alcohol, and a twist of citrus rind. It’s simple yet incredibly versatile, allowing for exciting variations like our smoky version. Here’s a deeper dive into its rich history.
Ingredients You’ll Need
For the Classic Old Fashioned:
- 2 oz Rye or Bourbon Whiskey
- 1 sugar cube (or half a teaspoon of sugar)
- 2-3 dashes of Angostura Bitters
- 1 twist of Orange or Lemon Peel
For the Smoky Twist:
- Smoking Gun or handheld smoker
- Wood chips (Oak or Hickory work great)
Step-By-Step Guide: Crafting the Smoked Old Fashioned
- Setting the Stage: Start by gathering all your ingredients and tools. Place the sugar cube in your glass and saturate it with the bitters. Add a dash of plain water.
- Muddle Away: Using a muddler or the back of a spoon, muddle the sugar, bitters, and water until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour in the Goodness: Add your chosen whiskey to the glass. Remember, the quality of your whiskey can make a difference, so choose wisely!
- Ice, Ice, Baby: Fill your glass with large ice cubes. This ensures that your drink remains cold without getting watered down quickly.
- Smoking Time: Now, for the exciting part! Using your smoking gun or handheld smoker, light your wood chips. Capture the smoke inside a glass dome or a larger glass inverted over your drink. Allow the smoke to infuse with the drink for about a minute. This process imparts that rich, smoky flavor we’re aiming for.
- Final Touches: Once your drink is nicely infused with the smoke, give it a good stir. Add an orange or lemon peel twist to the top.
- Enjoy! Take a moment to savor the smoky aroma before taking a sip. You’ve just crafted a sophisticated cocktail that’s a level above the rest.
Conclusion: Elevate Your Cocktail Game
So, wondering how to make a smoked old-fashioned? As you’ve seen, it’s not that complicated. It only requires a small amount of zeal and persistence. The blend of classic and smoky creates a cocktail that’s not only impressive but also an experience. Remember, practice makes perfect. So, host a cocktail night and show off your new skills!